The Haida Gwaii Management Council is responsible for setting Land Use Objectives for Haida Gwaii. Land Use Objectives are in place to protect Haida cultural values, support biodiversity and maintain the integrity of important wildlife habitats on Haida Gwaii.
Haida Gwaii Land Use Objectives Order
On December 17th, 2010, the Haida Gwaii Land Use Objectives Order was agreed to by the Haida Nation and BC and came into effect. Established objectives in the Order include:
- Cultural objectives for tsuu and sGaahlan cedar stewardship areas, cultural feature identification, Haida traditional heritage and forest features, culturally modified trees, monumental tsuu Red cedar and hlGiid Western yew;
- Aquatic habitats including type 1 and 2 fish habitat, active fluvial units, upland streams and sensitive watersheds;
- Forested swamps, cultural plants and old forest eco-systems, ecological communities representation, red- and blue-listed ecological communities;
- Taan Black bear dens, as well as habitat for tsallang.nga Marbled murrelet, stads kunNorthern goshawk, hlGuu Great blue heron and staw Northern saw-whet owl.
Land Use Objectives Order Amendments
September 21, 2017 – The Haida Gwaii Management Council has approved a major amendment to the 2010 Haida Gwaii Land Use Objectives Order, previously amended in 2014. The Haida Gwaii Management Council established these amendments following monitoring of the implementation of the order since 2010, in order to support objectives for ecosystem integrity and Haida cultural values, while maintaining timber harvest opportunities.
The amendment order includes edits to the following objectives, definitions, and schedules:
- Objectives for Haida traditional forest features and the accompanying Schedule 2;
- Objectives for Type 1 and Type 2 fish habitat;
- Objectives for upland stream areas;
- The objective for the provision of black bear den data;
- A new definition for cutblock was added and a minor change was made to the definition of development areas;
- A new objective was added regarding the submission of digital data for the purpose of monitoring;
- Two new Northern Goshawk reserves were added to Schedule 12, reflecting recently discovered nests at Feather Creek and Hancock River;
- Forest reserves in Schedule 8 were updated, with several deletions made and replacement areas added.
As this amendment order is considered a major amendment, proposed changes to objectives in the order were posted for a 60-day public review and comment period from February 3 to April 4, 2017. A summary of public comments with responses from the HGMC is available here: Summary of public comments
This major amendment order came into effect on September 21, 2017.
The Haida Gwaii Land Use Objectives Major Amendment Order, specifying the changes made to the original 2010 order and its 2014 amendment.
The Haida Gwaii Land Use Objectives Order, Consolidated Version, which incorporates the 2014 and 2017 amendments into the original 2010 order
Background and Intent Document for the Haida Gwaii Land Use Objectives Order, February 2019
- Schedule 1 Landscape Units Covered by this Order
- Schedule 2 Haida Traditional Features
- Schedule 3 Cedar Stewardship Areas
- Schedule 4 Type I and Type II Fish Habitat
- Schedule 5 Tree Heights
- Schedule 6 Upland Stream Area Watershed Sub-Units
- Schedule 7 Sensitive Watersheds
- Schedule 8 Forest Reserves
- Schedule 9 Marbled Murrelet Nesting Habitat Targets
- Schedule 10 Ecological Representation Targets by Landscape Unit (LU)
- Schedule 11 Marbled Murrelet Nesting Habitat
- Schedule 12 Northern Goshawk and Northern Saw-whet Owl Reserves
- Schedule 13 Red-Listed and Blue-Listed Ecological Communities
- FLNRORD published data site
Hard copies of the amendment order and the consolidated order are available by request from the Haida Gwaii Management Council by email at: email@example.com.
Previous Order Versions
- The 2014 Haida Gwaii Land Use Objectives Minor Amendment Order, specifying the changes made to the original 2010 order.
- The 2010 Haida Gwaii Land Use Objectives Order.
Haida Gwaii Land Use Objectives Amendment Process